- Photos, Ephemera & Historical Trivia for Oak Cliff, Texas.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

W.E. Greiner Jr. High School

postcard courtesy Terry Houchins
Postcard image courtesy Terry Houchins



Located at 501 S. Edgefield, the establishment now known as Greiner Middle School began literally on the south edge of a field as a group of plank buildings around 1910. This postcard shows the building conceived in 1915 and built sometime after 1932. Only a small part of the building in this photo remains today.

More about Greiner's history.

COMMENTS transferred from the old blog site:

Jon jgk5557 @ aol.com   12/13/2009
I was there around 70,71,72 when it was a Jr. High. Clifford C. Breeding was the Principal if I remember correctly.

Sandy Granger   sgranger @ email.com   12/15/2009
@Jon
I was at Greiner Jr. High in 1968. I don’t remember who was Principal at that time. Mr. Breeding was my Principal at L.O. Donald Elementary 1962-1965. I got sick at school one day and he drove me home. I was in awe.

James Oldham  jamesoldham1957 @ yahoo.com    2/22/2010
I went to Greiner 1972-73 and played Tuba for Mr. Hyde. Does anyone know how to reach him? Any former Yellow Jacket band members from 72-74 are welcome to call me at 214-808-4081

Ralph W. Morgan (current director)  raffmorgantcu @ yahoo.com     6/28/2010

Greetings,

I would be glad to send you Michael Hyde’s email info. Please email me at raffmorgantcu@yahoo.com

fyi- Mr. Hyde retired from Greiner in the Spring of 2005 (started there in 1967). I followed Mr. Hyde in 2005 until the present. From 1992 until 2010, the yellow jacket band has had 14 UIL sweepstakes awards (earning superior ratings on stage and in sightreading), 1 uil sight reading trophy, 1 uil concert trophy, and only 2 years of not winning anything (one was the year Mike had cancer, the other was my first year at Greiner).

Best wishes,
Ralph Morgan
Band Director
Greiner Middle School Academy for the Exploratory Arts
972-925-7100

Jacklym Castillo
i am a beginner at griener its a really good school and im in the acadmey part of griener

Jim Robinson    jrobitx @ msn.com     3/11/2012
Anyone there between 1953-1955

Chris Harrington  cjharr2009 @ yahoo.com    4/29/2012
I attended Greiner in 62-63-64. Mr. Santillo and Mr. Beasley were Principal and Assistant Principal, respectively. It was a great school. Ms. Brown and Mr. McKinney were the chorus teachers and Ms. Hattie Wilbur was the art teacher. Those three teachers provided the best times for all the students who attended their classes. I met some of the best friends I had in my younger years at that school. I was saddened with I found the school had been demolished. It should have been preserved. The DISD has no soul.

Brad H    Hubs2 @ prodigy.net    10/25/2012
Howdy
Michael Hyde started at Greiner in 1969, Bill Lively was there before that. I had Bill for for 1 1/2 year and Mike for for 1 year. Bill went to Sunset and then to Bryne Adams, and then to SMU. I played the trumpet at Greiner, Adamson, and Kimball class of 1973.

steve johnston    drclean @ suddenlink.net    4/1/2013
I was in Greiner in 1957 and walked to school everyday and watched the Tornado

Jake   Greiner.jake @ gmail.com  5/14/2013
My last name is Greiner yeaaa!!!!

Cynthia Orta    Cynthia.c.orta @ gmail.com    6/30/2013
@Ralph W. Morgan (current director)
I was at Greiner from 02-04. I played clarinet under Mr. Hyde. I was saddened when I learned of his passing. With his help and Mr. Waites’, I was 2nd chair in the All City Band. He was truly a great director. My love for music was inspired by him.

Dan Flake   dan.flake @ gte.net      7/21/2013
@Cynthia Orta
That is certainly bad news. I was in the band the first year he came (1968) and when I moved back into this area, I remember reading an article that he was still the band director. I kept putting off going out to the school to meet him. When did he pass away?

Debbie K   bubbahoss.1951 @ gmail.com    8/13/2013

I was at Greiner in 65 to 67 then went to WH Adamson…was on pep squad. Then to WH Adamson and was on the Drill Team there graduated in 1970.

jack hays   thehays @ quikus.com    10/9/2013
captain of the first jr high football teams in dallas..undefeated in 1947,played in the cotton bowl, these team members later-1950- led sunset high to its first football state championship

Mary Murillo Brooks    ms_mary @ live.com    3/18/2014
I was at W.E. Griener Middles school from 1970 – 1973. I played volleyball, soccer, and basketball. Mrs Taylor was our coach.

@james old ham
I was in band as well and I remember Mr. Hyde.
I played the alto saxophone.

Lisa    kdljmom @ yahoo.com   4/17/2014
I was at Greiner, 70-73, Jacketeer. I wasnt in Band but i remember Mr. Hyde, he was a good man. I have been looking for David Pearson for about 15 yrs now . he was there the same time i was and played drums. if anyone has any info email me. djljmom@yahoo.com. I love this picture of the school, it doesnt look like this now. sadly. it was a beautiful building. My mom worked in the cafeteria, she made those wonderful yeast rolls, that we all loved so much



10 comments:

  1. My Father went there in 1926 to 1932 when it was the original Winnetka Elementary School. He said that it was changed to the Junior High School when the new Winnetka Elementary further south on Edgefield at Clarendon was built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended W.E. Greiner from 19790-1973 and played as a percussionist in the Yellow Jacket band. It was there, in the old band room and the new annex that followed, that I learned to appreciate the transformative power of music. I was a student aide during Mr. Hyde's planning period, and we spent many hours alone together preparing for his next classes or just running errands. Leaving him to move on to high school was as heart-breaking as it was necessary. Mr. Hyde's kindness and humanity helped me survive the most painful period of my life. I have remained grateful for over 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can anyone tell who the School was named after. W. E. Greiner?? I have found the find a grave for John F. Peeler and W. H. Adamson but not W. E. Greiner. John F. Peeler was a School Supervisor and W. H. Adamson was a Principal and School Supervisor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Edward Greiner. See http://www.dallasisd.org/domain/331

      Delete
  4. Do you have a list of the students from 1948-1951? I was there sometime during that time.
    Thank you,
    Pat Bigelow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello All !
    Thank you for your comments !
    I attended Greiner in 1963-64.
    Absolutely LOVED Jean Brown's music class !
    Would love to find out how Jean Brown is doing - I remember her straight, short, dark hair and her black glasses..
    She was an amazing music teacher and really expanded my knowledge and appreciation of all music genre we studied.
    My Aunt, Yolanda Thomas taught Spanish at Greiner in 1964 and all the "jocks" wanted to be in her class because she was so attractive and drove a Sunbeam Alpine Convertible sports car. :) :) :)
    If anyone can please help me find out about my most favorite teacher, Jean Brown, I would surely appreciate it !
    We moved to San Antonio after school was out in 1964 and I so regretted not being able to go with my awesome class to Sunset High..
    Oh well, such is life..
    Please advise any info Jean Brown, thank you so much !

    frandanco710@att.net - Email

    Best,
    Dan Franco
    Plumas Lake, California
    206-963-4284 - call or text
    frandanco710@att.net - Email

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan,
    Jean Brown was my all-time favorite teacher as well! I was in her 8th grade chorus and concert choir in 9th grade. The years were 59-61. In concert choir we did a civil war choral program in '61 for the centenial of the war. I was in her select show group called G-Notes (for Greiner). Any other G-Notes out there in '60-61? Would love to hear from you.
    I still remember the choral arrangements of many songs from our concerts! Ahh, the memories..... Favorite teachers remain with us always.
    I lived on Montclair only a block from Greiner, went to Sunset and graduated in '64. I became a teacher myself and can only hope a few of my students loved me as much as i loved Mrs. Brown. I only wish i had gone back to visit as an adult to tell her that i adored her.
    I am now 72 years old, and i suspect, sadly, that Mrs. Brown would no longer be with us. She would surely be in her 90's if she lives still.
    I did research her a number of years ago and found that she advanced to choir dirctor in a local college, i'm so happy to see that others loved her as much as i. So much connectability with kindred spirits; a very good feeling.
    Kind regards,
    Janice Maddox Mckinney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice Mckinney --
      Thank you so much for your reply..
      I am so sorry to reply back soooo late... :(
      So happy to hear of your awesome talent to be in the G-Notes !! Good or you!!!
      I have always loved singing and it was Jean Brown that really helped me develop my own talents and surely learned to love so much of the different kinds of music Jean Brown taught us those couple of years I was in her class..
      As you well know, Jean Brown was totally committed to Music !!! Her own love for it spilled out to all of who were receptive to it and it took us all to levels we never even thought existed.. All those beautiful Operas we learned of!!!
      Now, when I put on some of the beautiful Operas that Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote,and hear outstanding voices singing those incredible words to equal music, my mind sometimes drifts back to that room in Greiner, and I see Jean Brown at the piano, with those black framed glasses on, imploring all of us to really "Hear" what is happening in this part of "Aida"...
      In 1964, we went to All City competition and Won !!! Jean Brown, again, at her Best !!!
      This dear lady was always - Amazing -
      We Never took a Day Off, we worked hard every day of Chorus, Jean Brown wanted us to learn to appreciate music even a little bit, while we all knew she was to totally into it..
      Thank you, Janice, for finding out a little about her.. I have tried numerous times to do this myself, but unfortunately, I am not as skilled on the Internet search words, etc., that helps others much more than I..
      My dear Mother lived to 94, so perhaps Jean Brown might still be out there ! I sure wish I could just tell her how much she impacted my life through music and how much I love and appreciate her work and dedication she gave to this little brown boy, who only had 3 shirts, that he had to wash and iron every week, so he always had a clean shirt to wear to school..
      God Bless you and yours, Janice maddox Mckinney !
      I will include you and your family and of course or dear Jean Brown in my Prayers tonight and always..
      My Best to You and Yours,
      Dan Franco

      Delete
  7. I went to W.E.Greiner 1968-1970. Played Alto Clarinet (number 1 in a field of 1) in Mr.Hyde's first band. Wonderful memories. Made some great life long friends that year. Does anyone know what became of Mark Rawlins? Kaye(Fuchs)Harrison.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, Ruth Millner, became Choir Director at Greiner in 1972 along with Garald Pain and remain there until 2002. I spent 30 years there. Great school. Many choir awards and special performing opportunities. From Corniegh Hall to Washington D.C. Teacher of the year 3 times, Yellow Rose of Texas confirmed by Gov. Bush, Wiley Price, and Dallas Mayor. Produced many superior students that are working in the DISD, Other ISD'S, Colleges, composers, and many other educational and business institutions. After retiring, I've worked as a mentor to the Choral Directors in the district.

    ReplyDelete