- Photos, Ephemera & Historical Trivia for Oak Cliff, Texas.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The New Westerner Tourist Courts

new west tourist court


The remnants of The New Westerner Tourist Courts built in 1945 are stilll standing at 2514 South Zangs Blvd. at Elmore Street, about midway between Illinois and Saner Avenue. I used to think I must have been mangling street names by saying "Zangs" instead of "Zang", because I never see it written with the s at the end anymore. This postcard tells me somebody decided to drop the "s" somewhere along the line. Will we ever find it? I think this card is late fifties or early sixties from the phone number, although it may have been some kind of reprint or corrected version of an earlier card. Below is another postcard view which includes the swimming pool area. The building is still in use as a motel, but you can see in the bottom photo the original sign is gone.

new westerner pc




elmore zang

from Sandy Granger. sgranger @ email.com  12/15/2009
I knew the family who owned this back in the 1960′s. Amish was their name. I was locker mates with Ron Amish back in 1965-66 at Margaret B. Henderson Elementary. We were in Miss Westbrook’s class. Great memories.

from Danny Leamon. danleamon @ ymail.com   4/21/2014
I attended MBH from 1963 to 1966 and remember going to this hotel and visiting Ron also. I was in Mrs Rutherford, Mrs Fisher, Mrs La??? class.

214-415-4596


No comments:

Post a Comment